Research group: RSTI
Telephone: +34 91 549 57 00 ext: 3066
E-mail: gregorio.lopez.lopez [at] upm.es
the Telecommunications Engineering MSc in 2008, the Telematics
Engineering MSc in 2010, and the PhD on M2M (Machine-to-Machine)
architectures for Smart Grids in 2014 (under the supervision of José Ignacio Moreno), all them from UC3M
III de Madrid). In may 2016 I received the Spanish Assitant Professor Habilitation from ANECA.
my PhD I carried out two internships in the Institute of Systems and
Robotics - University of Coimbra, under the supervision of Anibal de Almedia and Pedro Moura.
These internships helped me to better understand the energy sector and
the main challenges that are driving the energy system under the new
paradigm of the so-called Smart Grid. During the last semester of 2008
enjoyed an Erasmus Placement internship in Deutsche Telekom Laboratories
under the supervision of Hans Einsiedler. During this internship I
carried out research on mobility and QoS in NGN (Next Generation
gather wide experience in close-to-market research, gained throughout
my participation in several Spanish and European R&D projects in
the areas of NGN (Next Generation Networks) and the application of M2M
communications to e-health and Smart Grids. As a result of my research activitities, I hold an European Patent
and have authored and co-authored 20+ papers published in top-tier
conferences and journals, such as IEEE INFOCOM, IEEE ICC, IEEE SmartGridComm,
IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, Sensors
(MDPI), or Electric Power Systems Research (Elsevier).
Besides this, although still related to my R&D activities, I am
also interested on effective project management, tech startups and
entrepreneurship. Thus, in 2012 I
participated in an Entrepreneur Workshop co-organized by UC3M and the EOI (Escuela
de Organización Industrial) on tech startups and in 2013 I took a
Project Management Training Course oriented to the PMP (Project Management
- August 2017:
- Our paper "Noise sources, effects and countermeasures in NB-PLC networks: A practical approach" has just been published in Energies. Check it out!
- Our paper "Together or separately? Evaluating the
CFP in PRIME using SimPRIME" has been accepted at IEEE SmartGridComm 2017.
- July 2017: Do you want to know about cybersecurity vulnerabilities in NBPLC PRIME technology? Check out the very first comprehensive study on the issue we have just published in Security and Communication Networks. It's open access!
- April 2017: Start as an Assistant Professor at the DIT of the UPM
- Information Theory. 3rd course. Telecommunications Engineering Degree.
- Communications Networks. 1st course. Telecommunications Engineering MSc.
main research interests include optimization of M2M
communications networks based on analysis and simulation, cybersecurity and Big
Data for Smart Grids/Smart Cities.
- Guest Editor of International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks Special Issue "Smart Grid: ICT Control for Distributed Energy Resources"
- Member of the IEEE Communications Society, the IEEE Power
and Energy Society, and the IEEE Smart Grid Community
- Member of the IEEE Smart Grid Technical Activities Committee
- Reviewer for Energies, IEEE Communications Magazine, IEEE
Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, and IEEE Transactions on
- Reviewer for the Singapore Energy Market Authority
- Representative of the COIT in AEN/CTN 207/SC13
- Spanish expert at the ISO/IEC 21228 "Coexistence mechanism for broadband power line communications technologies"
- COIT Award to the Best PhD Dissertation in Applications of the Internet of Everything (sponsored by CISCO)
- UC3M Extraordinary PhD Dissertation Award
Caja España grant to study the Telematics Engineering MSc (out of the 4
available to all the Official MSc of UC3M in 2009-2010)
- Graduate with first-class honors at High School "El Saladillo".
I was born in Algeciras
in 1982. I am a family man: I am happily-married with my beloved María and
we have a daughter and a son, our beloved Emma and Daniel. We love enjoying time
together, as well as with our family and friends. I like good music, good movies, cuisine (traditional and nouvelle),
and cooking. I also like football: I am a Real Madrid supporter - What
else? I said I like football - and I (used to) play futsal in two amateur
teams. I also practice other sports, like snowboarding, biking,
and running. I have run three marathons: Berlin'13 (4:05:26), Amsterdam'14
(3:54:44), and Valencia'15 (4:09:51). I would say that endurance sports are like any other drug:
you enjoy while practicing them, you carry a major hangover afterwards, and you miss them so much when you quit.
I dream with a more egalitarian society based on respect, with a World
without frontiers where nobody were forced to leave their motherland.