Open positions, January 2021
Research Assistant position in Privacy Engineering at UPM
The researcher will collaborate on an exciting research project oriented towards understanding what ICT systems are doing with our personal data. In particular, the researcher will set up, maintain and evolve a public platform for the automated privacy assessment of ICT systems. This platform aims to support organizations in understanding the risks posed by their systems, and data protection authorities in auditing them.
The researcher will also interacte with undergraduate and master students, senior researchers, and external partners in industry, government and academia. Participation in teaching activities is also possible.
What we seek:
- Master level candidates. We are also considering bright candidates who are aiming to complete their master studies by July 2021, as long as they meet the other requirements.
- A strong background in ICT systems development and computer networks. Knowledge and experience on programming languages (particularly Java and Python), and software engineering practices will be required. Previous experience on industrial sw development projects would be a plus. Contributions to open source projects will be also considered positively.
- Ability to communicate in English, both written and spoken. The candidate will be expected to maintain fluid conversations, present and support their results, as well as to write technical reports and research articles after a training period.
- Strong analytical skills and thinking out of the box.
- Some background in one or several of Android, Machine learning and/or Cibersecurity will be appreciated.
- This is a research position. Candidates applying for a PhD starting by Sep 2021 at UPM will be very much welcome.
Requirements set by the funding institution:
- The candidate must be enrolled in the 'Fichero del Sistema Nacional de Garantía Juvenil' on the signing in day. Details here.
- The candidate can't have been a UPM employee in July 2020.
What we offer:
UPM is one of the top technical universities in Spain. Located in ETSI Telecomunicación in Ciudad Universitaria, our research group offers a young but growing team, in a vibrant and international environment, working at the forefront of research. UPM is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. We offer an ideal environment for developing the skills necessary for starting a successful research career, including the development of a 3-year PhD in our group, fostering opportunities for international networking and learning soft skills.
Terms of employment:
- The selected candidate will start on 1st March 2021, on a full-time position.
- The initial duration is for 2 years, renewable upon agreement between both parties.
- The starting gross salary will be about 17,000€/year, which is expected to increase along the period. Incentives to be discussed.
Applications should include:
- A cover letter, explaining how the candidate meets the position requirements.
- Full cv and detailed university transcript.
- The contact information of three references, ideally from different organizations.
The first deadline to receive applications has been set on January 15th, 2021, though applications will be considered until a candidate is selected..
For questions or additional information, please contact Jose M. del Alamo at jm (dot) delalamo (at) upm (dot) es.